I started the Prayer Collection for 2018 and this year it will be… Beanies! There’s a lot of newborns on the way so it just made sense since I didn’t have much time between baby showers to get them ready.
The first one I made was for Karis using We Are Knitter’s The Baby Wool which is 100% baby alpaca in Natural and Camomile. It was made using 5.00mm knitting needles. You can also make hats using double pointed needles or circular needles, but I decided to use what I had at the time to create this piece.
Pattern: Striped Baby Beanie (Newborn, Knitting)
- Cast on 60 stitches with Color A.
- Row 1: Knit 2, Purl 2.
- Row 2: Purl 2, Knit 2.
- Repeat 1-2 2x totaling 6 rows.
- Row 7: Use color B to knit entire row.
- Row 8: Continue B to purl entire row.
- Row 9: Use color A to knit entire row.
- Row 10: Continue A to purl entire row.
- Repeat 7-10 until you the 11th stripe finished is color B or row 22.
- Row 23: Use color A to knit entire row.
- Row 24: Continue A to purl entire row.
- Repeat 23-24 2x totaling 6 rows. (Bind off on the last row.)
- Leave a long tail to sew through top edges to bunch top of hat.
- It’s up to you if you want to bunch it right side in or right side out, but I flipped mine inside out to bunch it.
- Sew in end tails and voila! Finito.
The hat will stretch to fit the baby’s head and it ends up being about 5″ tall.
Use MGMEMHJ0Z for $12 off your order at WAK!